Tuesday, May 15, 2012

So I guess a lot has happened since I last blogged. I left off serving Microsoft breakfast.

On Wednesday, I probably did more pool stuff, but at night the Microsoft people requested that the staff get to party with them! So we did! We joined them at the patio house. They had a bonfire going and the bar was open and music was playing and people were just chilling. Microsoft was footing the bar bill ;) I hung out at the bonfire for a bit because a lot of the staff was there. Then I wandered over to a group of Microsoft people playing cards. They were playing gin rummy and I asked if I could join. I was being all brave, approaching a group of people I didn't know, and adults at that. But they were nice and let me join. I talked to them for like an hour. One woman in particular, Kelly. It turns out that the whole group from Microsoft was with the HR recruiting department. So Kelly and I talked about what kind of people they look for and that they do and how they look for kids fresh out of college. She told me about their contract positions that last 6 - 9 months. She told me about some of the perks that you get, working for Microsoft. I asked all of the people a the table what schools they went to and what degrees they had. I asked them how they got started with Microsoft. I asked Kelly what she thought about Seattle. And what she expected to do with her career. I talked about myself and my degree and life plan.

And then I asked her how I would go about trying to get a contract job at the HR department at Microsoft. All I have to do is send her my resume. Oh my God.

So for the past couple of days I've been doing research on Microsoft. Now I just have to pluck up the guts to email her. Sooner rather than later. So she remembers me. But first I have to ask her about the flexibility of the contract positions. Because I'm here until Sept 20th. So would I apply this year? Or next year? But oh God, this would be so amazing. I get shakey just thinking about it. Living in Seattle for a year. I can't even explain it. Adventures!! Please.

So that was Wednesday night. Free drinks and networking and partying with young, cool Microsoft people and some awesome coworkers.

Thursday was my first day off. I went to Denver with three coworkers and we went shopping. I would have preferred exploring downtown Denver, but whatever. Then we got back around 7 and I went to a bonfire at this one kids place at the ranch. It was the first bonfire I'd been to here. I know they have them a lot, but I never feel like I can go unless I'm invited. But I just showed up and we roasted marshmallows and just hung out. It was lots of fun. One kid decided that since there were no guests on the ranch, that we should scream as loud as we could into the night. So we did. A few of the girls also went and raided the kitchen and brought back two plates of scones from breakfast.


So it was a really good day off. Then Friday we had new guests and they just left today. It was a wine tasting group. Yesterday they had a party at night. They invited us this time too! So free wine and a live band. The night started off with Andrea and me visiting some of the horsies and the steer, Huckleberry. We tried to get Huckleberry to run around all funny like he does. And we watched one of the horses watch Huck. Allie, the horse, was so scared of him. When Huck did his funny prance, Allie raced to the farthest corner of her pen and kept staring at him.

Then we spotted the fox! Thaddeus. He (she?) likes to hang around the ranch and beg for food. And he's so darn cute that it's hard to say no. So we headed to the kitchen and kissed at him and made noises so he's (she'd?) follow us. We gave him a piece of bread and some chicken and some lunch meat. But I didn't like when he got too close. His eyes are all scary and yellow. So we stayed a safe distance away. And we know we're not supposed to feed him. The bosses are gonna capture him soon and take him away because it wouldn't be good if he's here when kids are here.

But then Andrea and I headed to hang out with the band while they were warming up and before the guests headed down after dinner. They were really good and made me consider getting a live band for my wedding. But we hung out there and the guests showed up really late but whatever. They were a lively group. They loved to dance. And they loved for us to dance with them. So luckily a bunch of staff showed up and danced and mingled and talked with the guests. It was a really fun night.

And now we have no guests so I had today, and then tomorrow and Tuesday off. Well I can work a little on Tuesday if I want. But there won't be much to do. But I do want hours. So we'll see if anybody's doing anything fun, and if they're not, then I'll find work to do. But today I slept in and then in the afternoon we went to this kids house. We hung out and ate food and stuff. I was getting kinda bored around 8:30 so this kid, Parker, and I drove home. Tomorrow it's supposed to be really nice out so I might go on a bike ride by myself or maybe hiking. But I definitely have to work out and email the lady from Microsoft. I must must must do it.

I do wish I had some way of getting to visit my cousin and her family in Denver, but it's so hard to get out there without a car. But I know I'm not going to get multiple days off in a row like this once summer is in full swing. I don't know what I'll do.

I just pray that I get the job at Microsoft. Or that I get some other job opportunities this summer through connections at the ranch. Either would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment