Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow, sidewalks, and parallel parking

So I may have been jealous that nearly every school in the US had one if not two snow days, but today my professor didn't show up to class so not only do I not have class, but it's 61 degrees outside. Heeheehee.

I've noticed a few things about sidewalk etiquette. There is none. People won't move aside to lett you pass them if you are walking at them. You will be forced to squeeze up against the buildings or you will have to walk in the street. People will even walk in the middle of the sidewalk and not move to the side if you need to get by.

Let me also tell you about the drivers and cars here. There are two types of cars, brand new, fancy ones and old beat up ones. None in the middle. No middle aged cars. Just shiny BMWs and Mercedes and dull, rusty Volkswagens. About the drivers, they can park by sound. They are so skilled at parallel parking, it's ridiculous. About a dozen times I've seen cars come within inches of bumping into another car, but no! They stop just short of it! It's amazing.

Well, time for lunch with my family and then off for a walk through the city.

1 comment:

  1. Yea! more stories like these! I laughed out loud! ask the Russian women about their sidewalk etiquette.

    ReplyDelete