Oh God. So sunburnt, but so happy.
Yesterday was the best day I've had on the ranch.
It wasn't a normal Sunday. Our guests from the previous week left and the next guests weren't due to arrive until Monday, so almost everyone had the day off. I worked for a few hours in the morning, getting the pool ready and stuff because Dale said staff could use the pool that day. So I worked from 8 - 10 and then changed into pool lounging attire and laid up the pool with a drink and my audiobook with SuperFreakonomics. And one by one, more and more people came to sit by the pool and then it became a party. I put some good 90s music on the iPod and the speakers and everyone was sitting around just chilling. We had about 10 people there for most of the time, with people coming and going. But around noon, we crept into the ice cream room and feasted.
And the weather was beautiful. No clouds in the sky. It got pretty hot. And a few people swam and sat in the hot tub and we talked and made second trips to the ice cream room. I swam a bit but mostly I just flipped from my front to my back and for like 5 hours. I got fried. My chest is burnt and so is my back, and the backs of my knees. But I have no strap tan lines! It's a big accomplishment. So tank tops look good on me.
Then after many hours of sun and fun, we all headed back to our rooms to get ready for the night. A huge staff party was planned at a brand new bowling alley in Winter Park. One of our ranch Members, the Ford family, sponsored the party, which was so awesome of them. So they paid for our food, drinks, and bowling costs. Perfect.
There were like 60 staff members that went so that was awesome. Everyone one got dressed up and got to relax and just have a ton of fun.
And I bowled pretty well! 120 my first round. I beat most of the people there! And I tried to hang out with everyone, not just the people I was bowling with. And after two hours of bowling, I went to The Pub next door with some of the people from the office. They're like, some of my favorite people here. So one of the guys bought my drink and we all hung out for a while until the clock struck 10 and the bus was about to leave to take us back to the ranch.
When we were all back, people split up into two groups, bonfire group and pool group. I went to the bonfire for like two minutes but it was so hot and I was so tired that I just wandered back to bunkhouse (not without a huge amount of fear of encountering the bear, all alone, on my way back). But I made it safe and sound and promptly passed out.
And this morning we all reminisced about everything and got over our fatigue together. And everyone agreed that it was the BEST DAY EVER! And we all agreed that we should have more days like this, more Sundays without guests, then we'd be happier workers, relaxed and bonded. And we should have had more outings, but it's so hard without lots of cars to go places.
I just want to go back to that pub and hang out with my friends and laugh and tell stories and gossip. Maybe we will once things calm down, but honestly, I don't think that'll happen. What I really want is for my friend in the office to invite me to her house to hang out with her and her bf and their group of friends from the ranch. They're older and seem like fun, chill people. I just want to hang out with them.
Love this ranch, love my coworkers, love my life.

No comments:
Post a Comment