Wednesday, April 6, 2011

WARNING: Don't read this if you have a sensitive stomach!

Again, a warning. This is something I learned today in anthropology class. If you have a weak stomach or are a huge animal rights activist, do not continue.

In anthro class we are learning about festivals around Spain and today we watched a video highlighting some of the big ones. There is a festival in called the San Antolin festival held in northern Spain every year. There is one ritual in particular that they do every year that is so disturbing I felt nauseous while watching it. I can't even describe it, it's too atrocious. They showed it too many times and I had to turn away until they passed on to the next festival. Read this for more information. Now, can you imagine watching this?? Over and over I watched them dunk the man holding the goose back into the water, with the aim of decapitating it!! Horrible! I thought how they treated the bulls in bull fighting was bad but this? Even worse.

If you read the whole article you'll see that now they use dead geese. That doesn't even matter. How could anybody do this? How can anybody support this? Here is a picture. Makes me sick just thinking about it. But I still felt compelled to share it with you. You learn something every day. You might not always like it, but it's important to see other cultures and customs, even if you don't understand the reasons behind it.

Sorry if I really offended you with this tidbit. I warned you.

1 comment:

  1. you only have to be the tiniest bit of an animal rights activist to be nauseated. do they still do this? a good reason not to visit this area of spain.

    ReplyDelete