Sunday, April 17, 2011

Palm Sunday in the city with the most palm trees in Europe

This morning I went to Elche again, but this time to see the Palm Sunday celebration. My friends said they were gonna go, but ended up staying out too late so I went with the two Italian kids in my apartment. I don't remember if I've talked about them. They're a couple, engaged I think. The boy stayed with my host family two years ago to study and they came back for a few weeks to study again. They're 23 and super nice. Four years ago, the boy lived in Texas for 4 years during high school because his dad had a job in the states so his English is really good but I only speak Spanish with them so we can both practice and it's nice that they're my age and my level of Spanish. We have some good times. We laugh at dinner and stuff and it's just nice to be around people my age here in the apartment.

So I told them about the celebration in Elche and they asked if they could go along and it worked out well because I ended up having nobody to go with. So we set off and took the bus and stayed for about three hours and saw the parade and I showed them some cool places and we went in the Basilica. Silvia says when her parents come to Alicante they might take a day trip to Elche so I pointed out the city park and stuff. Then after only three hours, the sun was making us tired so we caught the bus back to Alicante. The parade was pretty cool. Oh course tons of palms, and lots of intricately woven palm creation. And at the end there was a huge wooden statue thing with Jesus riding a donkey that about 50 men carried. Then a band after them. It was worth the price of travel. We got back and we were so tired so we ate a little lunch and retired to siesta.

I'm working on the Germany/Salzburg blog. It might be a little while. It's long and I want to be detailed but I keep getting distracted.

Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment