Friday, March 18, 2011

Who knew chocolate could provoke such deep thoughts?

This one's gonna get a little deep.

Today as a day trip I got people together and we took the tram an hour north to Villajoyosa to visit a chocolate factory/museum. As I might have mentioned before, I gave up chocolate for Lent. But the tour included free samples of some wonderful chocolates. Well I thought it through and decided that I could have chocolate today.

For the past couple of years I've alternated between considering myself a Catholic and considering myself simply very spiritual. I'm a firm believer in interpreting religion in your own way. There are many things I don't agree with the Catholic church on, but it's also nice to be part of such a big community and feel at home wherever I go. So I'm not sure what I am. Sometimes I think I should be Episcopalian, but I haven't done much research about which religious group I relate to best.

But it doesn't really matter what I call myself because I know what kind of person I am. Let me toot my own horn. I'm a great friend. I'm an excellent daughter. I'm a good student. I'm a very responsible and conscientious member of society. I volunteer for no reason. I volunteer even when I get nothing out of it and nobody even knows. I don't need volunteer hours to get into any sort of program or scholarship. I'm a very selfless person. So I know that God forgives me for eating chocolate today. Technically I sinned. I did something I knew was wrong. But I interpret religion the way I see fit, and I think that's fine. I know God would want me to make the most of my time here in Spain.

So partially this is me justifying my actions, which isn't really necessary, but it's also me working out my feelings and thoughts in a way that's helpful to me.

So I'm gonna eat chocolate during Lent when I think it's acceptable, and I'm also gonna abstain when it's not acceptable.



p.s. The wine infused chocolate was the best kind I tried :) The tomato and olive oil chocolate was also good.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! and I don't think even the Catholic Church would consider a lapse in Lenten resolution a sin. I think the 10 commandments define the "sin" categories, so as long as you don't covet someone's spouse, kill, etc, I think St.Peter will still let you through the pearly gates. I think Lenten resolutions are about sacrifice and, for me, self-improvement and discipline.

    ReplyDelete